Monday, February 04, 2013

Fantastic Beachcombing

 On Friday I went out for a quick walk with my 2 neighbors and our dogs, it was a really busy day, and I ran out of the house with out eating, as I was going for a half our walk this was at noon.  There was stuff all over the beach and the first thing we stumbled across was this sand shark egg casing.
sand shark egg
 When we got to the creek which is semi-river like this time of year, I could see all these plastic fishing floats so I just had to cross it.  My 2 neighbors said they'd wait for me to come back if I didn't go that far.  Well I walked, and every time, I got to a float I could see another one in the distance. So I had to keep going.  Finally I looked back and couldn't see them anymore, so I called one of their husbands at home to tell him what was going on, I was on the phone with him when I found the holy grail of beachcombing.  A small Japanese glass fishing float in a net.

baseball size glass fishing float
 Well that was it, I told Benny I wouldn't be back for hours as now I had to walk the whole beach. 4.5 miles later, I realized I'd found more stuff than I could haul back alone, I was starving to death, and I was going to be crossing the creek at high tide.
Renfro with a plastic float


Plastic Floats Everywhere



local crab pot floats

Black float with Blue Paint

not sure what this is, have to get my neighbor to look at it they we're all over the beach, think it's another egg casing of some sort

Jelly fish everywhere as well

the dead whale in the surf


So by the time I got back to the creek, I had 50 sand dollars, an interesting piece of wood with a slot cut in it, a bunch of small plastic floats, a russian vodka bottle, and I was dragging 5 large floats.  I was exhausted and nervous to cross the creek hauling all that stuff, so my neighbor came down, made sure I made it across the creek safely, and dragged my floats the last half mile.  I promptly came home and scarfed down a sandwich - I was pretty darn close to consuming Renfro's Milk Bones on the way back :-)

Settling in for some rain now.

No comments: