Friday, March 26, 2010

A Memoriam to Vernon Rush March 10, 2006 - The ultimate beachcomber

Well I hate to do this but I woke up to snow on the ground in Florence this morning. I wasn't going to be able to leave until around 5:30pm tonight, and I am not a snow & Ice driver.

I somehow get the feeling that this wild March storm is Vern's way of telling us not to make a fuss over him. We've had churning burning surf for 2 days now, last night Bob and I came home just before dark and there were two giant plastic floats coming in on the tide. We looked at each other and said yep lets go get them, we chased them half way to Driftwood Shores, but we got'em. So this morning in the middle of writing this email I saw another big plastic float wash up and I though what would honor Vern's memory more than going beach combing. So out I went, I picked up two more big plastic floats, some small ones and a great piece of "Leaverite". I'm sure if you've been beach combing with Vern you all know what Leaverite is. I also had to run up a dune with my treasures, as a large sneaker wave came in and the whole beach disappeared. " I could hear Vern laughing"

Sometime in the fall of 1986 Vern and I went beachcombing in Brookings. It was the middle of sport fishing season on the river and we weren't finding much of anything, but we did recover 8 individual full cans of beer that had washed down the river and up on the beach. Which we took home and drank :-)

Vern & Tommie were here in Florence when I found my first glass float, and Vern was as excited as I was, helping me clean it off and telling me stories about each of the ones he had found over the years. I've since found 2 more, but the thrill is in the hunt, and it doesn't matter whether it's an Agate, a plastic float, a glass float or a piece of Leaverite. Vern taught me the fine art of beachcombing..

Thanks Vern!

No comments: