Thursday, March 25, 2010

Japanese Glass Float Find

I've been hunting for Floats since 1990. I found my first softball sized one in March/April of 1990. In January/February 97, I found a baseball sized one. In March 2002 I found my third baseball sized float in a tide pool of the blue jelly fish velella velella. Well around 5pm today, I was standing in my living room talking on the phone, looking out my windows, and I saw it...something round washed up on the beach, and it looked green. It was pouring rain sideways so hard the I couldn't see through my living room windows, so I ran out on the deck, and sure enough.. It was a japaneese glass float, about a block down the beach.
I told my friend there's a glass float on the beach I have to go now, and I grabbed my beach coat, and ear muffs and went out in to the pouring rain and 20mph wind, running all the way! I didn't see anyone on the beach, but there were certainly houses, and a hotel closer to it than I was. Sure enough I got down there, and it was a basket ball sized float. It's sitting outside on my deck at the moment as it's quite slimey.. But heck a float every 5 years I think I'm doing great.
We haven't seen any of the larger blue jelly fish yet, but the beach is covered with pea size ones, so this might be a year to find floats again!

No comments: