Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tsunami Warning Cancelled for Florence Oregon

After living here for 11 years, I experienced my first serious Tsunami warning this evening. While I didn't panic, I also didn't hit the road for higher ground immediately like I probably should have. My first warning came when a relative from the Rogue Valley called. It was a good thing they called as I was sitting in front of my computer totally unaware of it. I went to the Tsunami warning website, and at that point I had 20 minutes to leave based on their predictions. I woke up my husband, put on jeans and sensible shoes, leashed the dog, tried to call my neighbors and then ran to their house, as I knew she was online.

So the four of us stared at NW Cable News trying to figure out whether we should leave or not. All, this while people kept walking by on the beach, many people were unaware it had been issued. Once I received that initial call, my phone and cell phone rang off the hook, with friends who were in safe locales... warning me (all of them know my TV is never on).

We have an emergency information phone system that's supposed to call everyone in a tsunami emergency but my phone never rang and I don't know if our town ever set it in action... They had downgraded it to a Bulletin by the time the initial wave was supposed to hit, 8:49. Of course had a wave been coming we would have all been done for. I learned that a bulletin meant that low lying area's were still threatened but a large damaging wave was unexpected. We then proceeded to watch experts, until they announced another hour later that the whole thing had been cancelled it wasn't the type of quake that generated a tsunami.

This whole thing has made me realize that a bit more of a plan would have made me feel better. I now have a folder of favorites, for Real Time information on Tsunami's so there won't be any searching for it, and I know where to navigate on each site, to get what I need. Interesting experience that makes you realize what you need to do, so you'll be prepared for the real thing. I'll be doing some more planning!!

No comments: